Peter Loso was main settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German negotiation in August, 1854. He said section 9-10 which the Town of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon implemented and the Township was sorted out in 1858 covering 81 square miles. Formerly called Clinton, St. Joseph acquired its current name in 1870. Many settlers came up for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Community was contained in 1890. As the township grew, so have the needs of its individuals, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their plan in the 1890's, they decided to construct a prison, install a people well, build and repair solid wood sidewalks, and set liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a problem and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was sorted out, which happens to be the St. Joseph Flames Dept.
By the early 1900's St. Joseph was growing with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the young families after multiple many years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 minimizing enough time to milk cows so more time could be spent on crops and dog care. Immediately after, World War 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to combat.
After the conflict ended people were in a position to get their lives again on track, at least for some time, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in place so lots of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which somewhat reduced the hardships of the marketplace crash. With the depression effecting every person in town, the community needed to keep together as part of your. Through a national give, the Council could hire the jobless to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On December 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially joined the united states into World Conflict 2. Rationing tokens received out since many items were an issue. At that time St. Joseph had a population of around 1050, getting rid of 10 heroic soldiers to the warfare. The community remained strong and ongoing to improve the Town, adding a water tower in 1949, plus a new Community well. In 1959, St. Joseph started out fluoridating its water read more supply, and remains to take action.